For the past few years I have joined in the Australian Women Writers Challenge, and I will be joining in again this year. If you don’t know the Australian Women Writers Challenge was started to help overcome the gender bias in the reviewing of books by Australian women. Avid readers and book bloggers, both male and female, Australian and non-Australian, are encouraged to join.
The challenge runs from Jan 1st – Dec 31st 2015. You can sign up at any time. You can also choose to read and review, or read only.
There are four levels of involvement you can choose from:
Stella: read 4 – if reviewing, review at least 3
Miles: read 6 – if reviewing, review at least 4
Franklin: read 10 – if reviewing, review at least 6
Create your own challenge: nominate your own goal
I’ll be creating my own goal. I plan on reading and reviewing at least 40 books. My goal is to read 150 books this year, so I thought a good chunk of that ought to be by Australian women. Plus we have some awesome writers here in Australia.
Another goal of mine this year is to read books I actually own, so here is a list of 30 books I plan on reading for the challenge from my shelves. The other 10 I’ll leave for review copies that I get throughout the year.
Here’s my to-read list: (not in any order.)
1. Eon by Alison Goodman.
2. Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near.
3. Night Beach by Kirsty Eager.
4. The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee.
5. The Protected by Claire Zorn.
6. The Sky So Heavy By Claire Zorn.
7. The One and Only Jack Chant by Rosie Borella.
8. State Of Grace by Hilary Badger.
9. Dead, Actually by Kaz Delaney.
10. Ghost Gum Valley by Johanna Nicholls.
11. The Island House by Posie Graeme Evans.
12. The Dark Griffin by K.J. Taylor.
13. Jilted by Rachael Johns.
14. Shine Light by Marianne de Pierres.
15. Sumerford’s Autumn by Barbara Gaskell Denvil.
16. Elianne by Judy Nunn.
17. Outback Dreams by Rachael Johns.
18. Driftwood by Mandy Margo.
19. The House on Burra Burra Lane by Jennie Jones.
20. The Undivided by Jennifer Fallon.
21. The Wrong Girl by Zoe Foster.
22. Daughters Of The Storm by Kim Wilkins.
23. Saree by Su Dharmapala.
24. Tiddas by Anita Heiss.
25. Simmering Season by Jenn J McLeod.
26. The Inevitability of Stars by Kathryn R. Lyster.
27. Cooper Bartholomew is Dead by Rebecca James.
28. Genesis: The Rosie Black Chronicles by Lara Morgan.
29. The Taste of Lightning by Kate Constable.
30. Queen of the Night by Leanne Hall.
I’m looking forward to reading all these books. What about you? Are you going to be signing up for the challenge?